UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only in the following cases:
- (a) Between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies
- (b) Where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law, such as:
- (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector
- (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically:
- UPS Next Day Air® Early
- UPS Next Day Air®
- UPS Next Day Air Saver®
(Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms)
UPS Accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the following:
- The part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law
- The contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm
- The package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law
Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as “suppressors”) are also considered as "firearms.” They are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS' requirements for shipping firearms.
UPS does not accept for shipment the following types of firearms:
- Automatic weapons, including machine guns
- Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally.
Please note that UPS Returns® Services are not available for packages containing firearms.
All firearms must be shipped in new corrugated packaging that meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.
All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications. Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).
Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery.
The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required and Direct Delivery Only services for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun or a firearm suppressor, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services, or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).
Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
See the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping ("UPS Terms") for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.