Infectious Substances, Category A:
What is an Infectious Substance, Category A?
"An infectious substance which is transported in a form that, when exposure to it occurs, is capable of causing permanent disability, life-threatening or fatal disease in otherwise healthy humans or animals. Indicative examples of substances that meet these criteria are given in Table 3.6.D." (Dangerous Goods Regulation, 18.104.22.168.2.1)
What are the requirements when shipping Infectious Substances, Category A with UPS?
UPS will accept, Category A Infectious Substances assigned to UN2814 or UN2900, provided the following conditions are met before offering this commodity:
- A signed agreement expressly permitting the shipment of Infectious Substance, Category A is required.
- Service only available within the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
- Service is not available for "Select Agents or Toxins," as regulated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention under 42 CFR Part 73, or the U.S. Department of Agriculture, under 9 CFR Part 21.
- For enhanced visibility, UPS Proactive Response is required.
- Shipments must be prepared in accordance with the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations.
- UPS Next Day Air® or Next Day Air® Early A.M.® service must be used for Infectious Substance, Category A. No other service levels, including UPS Next Day Air Saver®, are acceptable for this commodity.
What are the regulatory requirements that must be followed when offering Infectious Substances, Category A?
Refer to the Dangerous Goods Regulations, Packing Instruction 620 for more information regarding marking, labeling, and packing requirements.