We may obtain consumer personal information (such as name, contact details and payment information) in connection with various activities such as (i) use of the UPS websites and applications, (ii) shipping activities, including delivery and pick-up of shipments, (iii) requests to track shipments or answer questions, (iv) events in which we participate, (v) promotions and other offers, and (vi) calls placed with customer service and accounting centres which may be recorded.
The types of personal information we may obtain include:
- Individual and business contact information (such as name, company name, physical address, email address and telephone or fax number)
- Shipping information (such as (i) shipping-related contact details like the sender's, and consignee's and/or neighbour's (for UPS My Choice's "leave with neighbour" feature) name, physical address, email address and telephone number, (ii) signature for proof of delivery, (iii) UPS account number, and (iv) information given to us that helps us access locations to which we provide service) and information provided to us regarding the content of certain shipments, but only to the extent an identifiable person can be linked to such content.
- Information that enables us to verify an individual's identity
- Names, email addresses and telephone numbers of others to whom we are asked to send information
- Information provided in response to surveys
- Username, password and other credentials used to access UPS products and services
- Social media handles, content and other data posted on our official social media pages or elsewhere on the Internet (such as other public locations), and information (such as email address and other information that you allow to be shared) we obtain through UPS-related social media apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins (including third-party login services such as "Login with Facebook")
- The geographic location of your mobile device if you use certain features of our apps
- Payment information (including payment card details or online payment services number and invoicing address) and financial information (such as bank account numbers)
- Tax identification number in circumstances in which you request products or services for which this information is required, or in connection with certain promotions or prize draws
- Other personal information that may be provided to us to obtain a UPS product or service
We also receive consumer personal information from our customers in order to perform services. We may receive personal information from third parties, including public databases, social media platforms, or third party partners such as analytics or marketing providers.
When we pick up or deliver a shipment or provide other services, we may obtain physical location data. This includes, for example, data identifying the actual location of a physical address using information such as GPS data, geocodes, latitude and longitude information, and images of the various locations.
In addition, when you visit our websites, use our apps, or interact with UPS-related tools, widgets or plug-ins, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons. The information we collect in this manner includes IP address, unique device identifier, browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken, and dates and times of activity. A "cookie" is a text file that websites send to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor's browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A "web beacon" also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages or apps to web servers and may be used to transmit information back to a web server. Through these automated collection methods, we obtain and store "clickstream" data to tell us usage patterns. We may link certain data elements that we have collected through automated means, such as your browser information, with other information we have obtained about you to let us know, for example, whether you have opened an email we sent to you. We also may use third-party analytics tools that collect information about visitor traffic on our websites or apps. Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all the features of our websites or apps. Both we and others (such as our advertising networks) may collect personal information about our visitors' online activities, over time and across third-party websites, when using our websites and apps.
The providers of third-party apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our websites and apps, such as the Facebook "Like" button, also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information is subject to the privacy policies or notices of these providers.