In addition to the commodities which UPS prohibits to all countries or territories served (listed here), it is prohibited to ship the following commodities to Nigeria.
- All spirits are banned from importation other than some kind of alcoholic bitters and liqueurs fulfilling the requirements of liquor licensing in Nigeria, brandy gin, denatured spirit, perfumed spirtis, medical and scientific. Most of the exemptions have to fulfill certain requirements and therefore require permit from the CG (Comptroller General of Customs)/NAFDAC (National Agency of Food, Drug and Administration Control) before importation.
- Ball point pens are prohibited.
- Indecent and obscene prints, paintings, books and other articles are banned from importation.
- Carpets are prohibited.
- Cutlasses are prohibited.
- Detergents in retail packs are prohibited.
- Import of Drones into Nigeria is prohibited except in circumstances where the importer has the following:
End User Certificate to Import
- Fabric is prohibited.
- Fishing nets are prohibited.
- Food is prohibited.
- All types of footware are banned from importation with the exemption of saftey shoes used in the oil industries, sport shoes, canvass shoes and all Completely Knocked Down (CKD) parts.
- Fruit and fruit drinks are prohibited.
- Gambling devices are prohibited or restricted.
- The UPS Nairobi hub in Kenya cannot transit any package that has liquid content item on a Small Package basis. This applies to all types of items in liquid form.
Kenya airways(KQ) has restricted this movement on courier mode and packages should only be moved on airfreight mode(SCS) direct to destination.
It will also not be able to RTS such packages as Kenya Airways is used for all exports too.
Please note: This applies to transit volumes, not Kenya import but also from Cologne, Dubai and Johannesburg hubs.
- Mosquito nets are prohibited. Inseciticide-treated mosquito nets are excluded from this prohibition.
- Customers must use an authorized UPS / MBE (Mail Boxes Etc) Store or UPS Customer Center to ship personal effects.
The UPS Store, Mail Boxes Etc. or UPS Customer Center will be required to identify personal effect shipments on the shipping label by placing "Personal Effects" in the Reference Field of a UPS "smart" label or in the Special Instructions Field of a UPS waybill. They must also clearly indicate 'Personal Effects' shipment on the Commercial Invoice.
Personal Effects are classified as used items (owned for a minimum of 6 months) intended for the consignee's personal use. Any items intended for any other use, such as wholesale or retail sales, business purposes, or for distribution are not considered personal effects and cannot be shipped on this basis. "Personal Effects" must be clearly stated on the invoice and goods description.
All of the following documents must be scanned into DIS/SIR and originals on the package:
- An inventory list with estimated values with the reason for importation (holidays, move, relocation)
- A confirmation that the goods are older than 6 months and that they are intended for personal use only
- A photocopy of passport or ID card
Any items intended for any other use, such as wholesale or retail sales, business purposes, or for distribution are not considered personal effects and cannot be shipped on this basis.
Excisable goods (for example, perfume, alcoholic drinks, tobacco), medicine and perishable food can not be cleared as personal effects.
Personal effects shipments are not allowed in combination with Return Services.
- Can only be imported if it can not be manufactured in Nigeria. For detailed information, please contact your local Chamber of Commerce.
- Products made in Iran are prohibited in our service due to a current embargo.
- Rugs are prohibited.
- Sanitary wares made of plastic (H.S. Code 3922 1000 - 3922.9000) and Domestic Articles and Wares made of plastic (H.S. Code 3924 1000 - 3924 9090) are prohibited.
Only baby feeding bottles and flushing cisterns and waterless toilets are excluded from this prohibition.
- Shovels are prohibited.
- Smoked salmon is prohibited or restricted.
- Soap in retail packs is prohibited.
- Spades are prohibited.
- Textiles are prohibited.
- Toothpaste is prohibited.