United States to Hong Kong
Country or Territory Regulations Topics:
Commodity Specific Stipulations
There are special stipulations on the following commodities when shipping to Hong Kong. If you plan to ship one of the commodities listed below, be sure to adhere to the following stipulations in order to avoid delays and holds at customs.
- Exports from the United States and Canada require an export permit/CITES Certificate for American ginseng sent to Hong Kong. The export permit/CITES Certificate is required to prove that the ginseng originated from farm-cultivation and that its exportation is not detrimental to the survival of the species. This regulation applies to all types of shipments including commercial, individual, gift, sample, and others.
- Shipments of animal skins require a Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) certificate. CITES must be endorsed by origin customs authority.
See Additional Import Documentation: CITES Certificate for more information.
- The type of leather (e.g. leather cowhide boots) must be indicated on the invoice. A Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) certificate is required from the shipper.
- Customers must use an authorized UPS / MBE (Mail Boxes Etc) Store, UPS Customer Center or ISC Approved Shipper to ship personal effects.
The UPS Store, Mail Boxes Etc, UPS Customer Center or ISC approved shipper will be required to identify personal effect shipments on the shipping label by placing "Personal Effects" in the Reference Field of a UPS "smart" label or in the Special Instructions Field of a UPS waybill. They must also clearly indicate 'Personal Effects' shipment on the Commercial Invoice.
Personal Effects are classified as used items (owned for a minimum of 6 months) intended for the consignee's personal use. Any items intended for any other use, such as wholesale or retail sales, business purposes, or for distribution are not considered personal effects and cannot be shipped on this basis. "Personal Effects" must be clearly stated on the invoice and goods description.
All of the following documents must be scanned into DIS/SIR and originals on the package:
An inventory list with estimated values with the reason for importation (holidays, move, relocation) A confirmation that the goods are older than 6 months and that they are intended for personal use only A photocopy of passport or ID card Any items intended for any other use, such as wholesale or retail sales, business purposes, or for distribution are not considered personal effects and cannot be shipped on this basis.
Excisable goods (for example, perfume, alcoholic drinks, tobacco), medicine and perishable food can not be cleared as personal effects.
Personal effects shipments are not allowed in combination with Return Services.
- Shipments of pharmaceuticals require an import permit from the Health Department of Hong Kong.
- Shipments of samples must have the full description listed on the invoice. Shipments without clear descriptions are subject to a customs inspection.
- Shipments of satellite equipment require an import permit from the Trade Department of Hong Kong.
- Import/ export, transit, transshipment of strategic commodities includes munitions items, chemical and biological weapons, nuclear materials and equipment and dual-use goods must obtain strategic license from HKTID before shipment arrival or departure.
- Shipments of telecommunication equipment (e.g. mobile phone or tablet) require an import permit from the Office of the Telecommunications Authority of Hong Kong.
Prohibited or Restricted Commodities
In addition to the commodities which UPS prohibits to all countries or territories served (listed here), it is prohibited to ship the following commodities to Hong Kong.
- Import of Alcoholic beverages into Hong Kong is permitted via ISC contract service.
Imports of liquor with an alcoholic strength of not more than 30% by volume measured at a temperature of 20C will be duty free.
For alcohol with an alcoholic strength of more than 30% by volume measured at a temperature of 20C, import license/permit is required and 100% duty would be imposed.
- Shipment of Alternative Smoking Products into (import), from (export) and domestically within Hong Kong SAR, including electronic smoking products, heated tobacco products and herbal cigarettes, are prohibited.
Please visit the Hong Kong SARs Tobacco and Alcohol Control Office website for more information on Alternative Smoking Products:
HK SAR's Tobacco & Alcohol Control Office Website
- Includes the following (this is not all inclusive and only a guideline): Military Aircraft parts, Military Motor vehicles, Tanks, night vision goggles', weapons, firearms, Artillery, Ammunition, Missiles, Explosives, military training equipment and protective personnel equipment, military electronics, space systems, Nuclear Weapons, Submersible vessels.
- The export or import of defense articles which fall under the US State Department (DDTC) or ITAR control require special care to ensure shipments are presented to US Customs at the time of exportation or importation.
- Failure to do so may result in penalties, seizure of the shipment.
- Shippers who fail to provide the proper documentation and export details will have shipments returned to the shipper immediately.
UPS has compliance responsibilities under Export Administrator Regulations (EAR) and must know their customers and be aware of suspicious circumstances that may be present in an export transaction.
State Department Controlled shipments are those shipments which require either a State Department License (SDL) or SDL Exemption, also referred to as ITAR shipments.)
UPS (small package) State Department License (SDL) or State Department License Exemption (SDL Exemption) controlled shipments are prohibited to and from this country or territory.
Please note that UPS Freight Forwarding can address the customer's delivery needs by transporting these restricted shipments via alternate routes that bypass China.
- Shipments of medicine require an Import License.
Viagra and any dangerous drugs shipments consigned to individuals for personal consumption are prohibited and no import license will be issued by the Health Department in Hong Kong.
Please visit the following website for a list of dangerous drugs:
- Due to a regulatory change, starting April 30, 2022, the Hong Kong SAR government will prohibit the import, manufacture or sale, or use in certain places, of prescribed alternative smoking products (ASP) including electronic smoking products, heated tobacco products and herbal cigarettes.
UPS is acting in line with this regulatory amendment and starting April 23, 2022, will no longer accept and/or transport ASP including domestic, import and export shipments to, from and within Hong Kong SAR.
- Any form of toy gun or gun replica is prohibited.
- The imports and exports of rough diamonds must be covered by valid Kimberley Process Certificates (Import) and Kimberley Process Certificates (Export) respectively issued by the HKTID.
- Hong Kong Law:
According to Cap 217 《Weapons Ordinance》, Laws of Hong Kong, any person who has possession of any prohibited items commits an offence.
According to Cap 217 《Weapons Ordinance》, Prohibited weapon included:
- Chinese-style throwing dart
- Gravity knife
- Gravity-operated steel baton
- Knuckleduster whether spiked or not and with or without blade
- Chinese-style fighting iron
- Spring-loaded steel baton
- Any knife the blade of which is exposed by a spring or other mechanical or electric device
Any bladed or pointed weapon designed to be used in a fashion whereby the handle is held in a clenched fist and the blade or point protrudes between the fingers of the fist.
- Shipments of medicine require an Import License. Viagra and any dangerous drugs shipments consigned to individuals for personal consumption are prohibited and no import license will be issued by the Health Department in Hong Kong.
Please visit the following website for a list of dangerous drugs: http://www.drugoffice.gov.hk/eps/root/en/pharmaceutical_trade/search_drug_database.html
- Products made in Iran are prohibited in our service due to a current embargo.
- Any form of smokeless tobacco product is prohibited.
- Shipment of toy guns require an International Special Commodities (ISC) Contract. In addition, a Shipper Declaration to certify the toys muzzle energy is less than 2 joules is also required.