United States to Afghanistan
Country or Territory Regulations Topics:
Commodity Specific Stipulations
There are special stipulations on the following commodities when shipping to Afghanistan. If you plan to ship one of the commodities listed below, be sure to adhere to the following stipulations in order to avoid delays and holds at customs.
- Samples are considered to be business items free of customs tax if the value is under 5,000 AFN (US$100.00), but laboratory tests will be done on it, and laboratory fees will be charged to the consignee. After the test, it will be decided if prohibited by the laws of Afghanistan and/or Islam or not.
- Data shipments require an invoice with the character of the USB stick (storing intercompany data) and the value of the USB Stick.
Prohibited or Restricted Commodities
In addition to the commodities which UPS prohibits to all countries or territories served (listed here), it is prohibited to ship the following commodities to Afghanistan.
- The import of all alcoholic beverages are strictly forbidden. Shipments containing alcoholic beverages should not be exported but held at the origin site because of penalties and fines.
- Art and artwork which are prohibited by Islamic law cannot be imported into Afghanistan.
- Books which are prohibited by Islamic law cannot be imported into Afghanistan.
- CDs which are prohibited by Islamic law cannot be imported into Afghanistan. The content of the CD must be clearly stated on the invoice (for example, intercompany data, music with interpreter, author and title, software program). Shipments containing CD's with an inadequate description will be rejected or returned.
- Importation of non-precious metals is prohibited into Afghanistan if:
- Metals being used as,or part of anything armoured, Weapons/Ammunition
- Any metals destined for a museum or considered an artifact
The Customs officials might question any given shipment containing non-precious metal and inquire about its final use.
- Pictures and statues which are prohibited by Islamic law cannot be imported into Afghanistan.
Import of Artificial Christmas Trees
Please note if the shipment is for the military base then nothing is required, as there are no customs at Military Bases.
If the shipment is for the Kabul commercial side then it is consider as non docs which requires Invoice. Please see Invoice Requirements for more information.
- Importation of Narcotics is prohibited into Afghanistan.
- Customers must use an authorized UPS / MBE (Mail Boxes Etc) Store or UPS Customer Center to ship personal effects.
The UPS Store, Mail Boxes Etc. or UPS Customer Center will be required to identify personal effect shipments on the shipping label by placing "Personal Effects" in the Reference Field of a UPS "smart" label or in the Special Instructions Field of a UPS waybill. They must also clearly indicate 'Personal Effects' shipment on the Commercial Invoice.
Personal Effects are classified as used items (owned for a minimum of 6 months) intended for the consignee's personal use. Any items intended for any other use, such as wholesale or retail sales, business purposes, or for distribution are not considered personal effects and cannot be shipped on this basis. "Personal Effects" must be clearly stated on the invoice and goods description.
All of the following documents must be scanned into DIS/SIR and originals on the package:
- An inventory list with estimated values with the reason for importation (holidays, move, relocation)
- A confirmation that the goods are older than 6 months and that they are intended for personal use only
- A photocopy of passport or ID card
Any items intended for any other use, such as wholesale or retail sales, business purposes, or for distribution are not considered personal effects and cannot be shipped on this basis.
Excisable goods (for example, perfume, alcoholic drinks, tobacco), medicine and perishable food can not be cleared as personal effects.
Personal effects shipments are not allowed in combination with Return Services.
- Importation of precious metals/stones such as Gold, Silver, Diamonds, etc. is prohibited.
- Products made in Iran are prohibited in our service due to a current embargo.
- Weapons and ammunition can not be imported into Afghanistan, unless special authorization is granted.