Germany to Sri Lanka
Country or Territory Regulations Topics:
Goods under IATA Special Provisions A67 require a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet).
It is not required for all, however shipments can be held by local authority in United Arab Emirates after screening due to lack of MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) or NON DG (Dangerous Goods) declaration letter from the shipper resulting to misconnections and impacting end-to-end service.
It would be advisable for all shipments originating, transiting and terminating for UAE to have MSDS or NON DG declaration from shipper enclosed in the shipment and copies to be uploaded in IDIS.
Export Procedure ex Germany
A formal electronic export declaration must be sent to customs authorities by the exporter or their representative. Customs authorities grant the release for export and issue an Export Accompanying Document (EAD) with a unique Movement Reference Number (MRN).
The EAD has to accompany the shipment. UPS is responsible for the exit clearance at the EU border.
An informal declaration is possible for shipments up to a national threshold. The informal declaration is based on the invoice value and is restricted to shipments not subject to prohibitions and restrictions (for example, embargo regulations) or special export procedures (for example, temporary export).
The informal clearance will be done by UPS at the point of exit.
Shipments up to a value of 1000 EUR can be declared informally on the basis of the invoice. For shipments above 1000 EUR, a formal export declaration is required.
UPS offers the service of making formal export declarations for customers with billable German UPS accounts. German exporters without simplification as so called approved exporter have to calculate a minimum of one working day for the competent customs office to process their declaration. However in practice, the export declaration must be placed within the opening hours of the customs office of export, as sufficient time must be allowed for the customs office to perform risk analysis and grant the release for export. On release of the goods, the customs office of export will provide the export accompanying document (EAD) with a unique Movement Reference Number (MRN).
UPS will provide the customer with the EAD including MRN which must accompany the shipment and be transmitted to the customs office of exit. The export shipment/s may be collected after release for exportation.
For cases of goods not exceeding 3000 EUR in value per consignment and per declarant and which are leaving the European Union by air movement and are not subject to prohibitions or restrictions the customs declaration may be lodged directly with the customs office of exit. The customs office of exit performs the risk analysis, releases the goods for export and confirms the exit of the goods. The declaration can be placed any time and the customs office of exit provide and MRN. The export shipment/s may be collected after receiving the MRN.
For further information please refer to the UPS website: www.ups.com/content/de/de/about/news/service_updates/20131227_eur_EDS.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=Export+Declaration+Service&WT.svl=SRCH
Alternatively, UPS offers a web-based application for customers to create electronic export declarations on their own - please refer to the following website - https://ups.atlas-netz.de/
For charges made for Export Shipments from Germany to the destination country or territory, please refer to Brokerage Services and Charges-Export Shipments with Germany as the destination.
For shipments that are detained by Customs for formal clearance, the Consignees confirmation of acceptance of the following is required:
Duties and Taxes
5.0% or 10.0% Port and Airport Levy, 8% VAT, Warehousing and Storage Fee and Disbursement Charges of LKR 2900.00 + Taxes.
Sri Lankan customs require an accurate shipment weight, value and currency to be mentioned on the airway bill, as the same data is transferred to the mainframe and manifests.
If any discrepancy / mismatch is detected by customs at the time of clearance, they could impose a penalty in the range of 5%-20% of the duty charged or the customs may decide on the penalty charge based on the nature and frequency of such failures by UPS in Sri Lanka.
This can cause delays in clearance as Sri Lanka will need authorization to bill these charges to Origin or shipper.
UPS cannot deliver to a P.O. Box address. All packages require a consignee's contact name and complete street address including apartment, suite or unit number if applicable. The consignee's telephone number should be provided if known.
- Service is provided to and from certain cities.
- UPS cannot deliver to a P.O. Box address. All packages require a consignee's contact name and complete street address including apartment, suite or unit number if applicable. The consignee's telephone number should be provided if known.
- Sunday, and official holidays.
- Spring +0530/ Fall +0530
- Sri Lanka Rupee(LKR)
- Shipping charges can be billed to the shipper, receiver or a third party.
- When billing the receiver, either the shipper or receiver's account number is required.
- When billing to a third party, the third party's name, country or territory and account number are required.
SDV (Split Duty/V.A.T.) This option is not available for shipments to Sri Lanka.
- Duties and taxes can be billed to the shipper, receiver or a third party.
- When billing a third party, the third party's name, country or territory and account number are required.
- If the duties and taxes are billed to an account outside of the destination country or territory, a "Duty and Tax Forwarding" surcharge will be applied.
- Please note the following third party billing exceptions:
- Shipments to and from the same country or territory (domestic shipments) cannot be billed to third party payors in other countries or territories. For example, shipments from Mexico to Mexico or Canada to Canada cannot be billed to a third party payor in the U.S. This rule does not apply to UPS domestic services in European Union countries or territories. For example, shipments from Germany to Germany can be billed to a third party payor in the U.S. (as long as the payor is a business and has a VAT or Tax/EIN ID on file with UPS).
- When paying by credit card, check, or cash, only the shipper can be billed the shipping charges
- 0.00 Sri Lanka Rupee LKR
- no gift exemption
- no gift exemption
Non-document shipments to Sri Lanka must include 1 original and 2 copies of an invoice.
The consignee's telephone number, if available, should appear on the invoice.
Items Classified as Documents
The destination country or territory considers the following items document shipments. If criteria are listed, the shipment must meet the criteria to be considered a document shipment.
- Controlled items - subject to censorship.
- Document limit 1-20 blank airline tickets.
- Document limit 1-5 books.
- Document limit 1-20 brochures.
- Document limit 1-50 business cards.
- Document limit 1-20 catalogs.
- Document limit 1-20 pamphlets.
- Subject to approval from Immigration and Emigration.
- Document limit 1-20 periodicals.
UPS can recommend which forms you need based on a few simple criteria. Forms can be completed online or printed. See which forms you need.
Prohibited or Restricted Commodities
In addition to the prohibited commodities listed here, it is prohibited to ship the following commodities to Sri Lanka.
- Antique shipments are restricted from Europe, the Middle East and Africa and can only be shipped with an International Special Commodities (ISC) contract. Antiques are defined as a work of art, piece of furniture, decorative object, or silverware that is 100 years old or older.
- Artwork shipments are restricted from Europe, the Middle East and Africa and can only be shipped with an International Special Commodities (ISC) contract.
Paintings or other works of art can be accepted if the artist is still alive, the artwork is replaceable and an art dealer or gallery has appraised the artwork within the last year. If the declared value of the artwork is greater than $100.00 and there is a claim, the shipper must provide a copy of the original invoice, a bill of sale, or other proof certifying in writing the actual cost or replacement cost of the item.
Artwork includes the following: Original engravings, prints, lithographs, original sculptures, statuary.
The term "Artwork" does not apply to: architectural, engineering, industrial, topographical, commercial drawings, hand-painted or hand-decorated manufactured articles.
- Shipments of Lithium Metal Batteries are prohibited on Emirates Airlines flights which UPS uses to this destination country or territory.
Alternative arrangements are in place, but expect transit delays if the normal planned flow of the package is via Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Time in Transit may be extended due to solution found.
- Personal effects cannot be shipped between these countries or territories.
Saturday Delivery Available: Yes
Not available in all areas. Always check the international time in transit system for details of service availability within a country or territory.
Always check Calculate Time and Cost for details of service availability and guarantee information within a country or territory. All Service Levels may not be available to or from every address within a country or territory.
- UPS Worldwide Express Saver
- UPS WorldWide Express Freight
Special Clearance Requirements
New requirements have been implemented for small package shipments and are based on the International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPM) 15, which is entitled "Guidelines for Regulating Wood Packaging Material in International Trade". ISPM 15 was adopted internationally in 2002, and is gradually being introduced by countries or territories worldwide. Wood or wood products covered by ISPM 15 include items such as packing cases, boxes, crates, drums or similar packing, pallets, box pallets and other load boards, pallet collars and skids, but exclude such processed woods as orientated strand board, particle board, plywood or veneer, created using glue, heat and pressure or a combinations thereof, and, raw wood which is 6mm or less thick. It is recommended that if a question arises on this issue, please check with the authority that issues the Phytosanitary certificates in your country or territory.
0.00 Sri Lanka Rupee (LKR)
Goods should not be in commercial quantities, and should accompany a detailed commercial invoice.
0.00 Sri Lanka Rupee (LKR)
Goods should be accompanied with a detailed commercial invoice.