To create a return shipment, follow the steps below:
- Once logged in, select the Shipping tab at the top. In the area at the left, select Create a Shipment, then select Create a Return.
- On this page, select or enter a Return From address (the original recipient address) from the drop-down list or an external address book (if available). Confirm the Bill To information. To make changes, select Edit.
- For each return package, select the type of packaging from the drop-down list (for example, packaging provided by UPS, UPS Letter, your packaging, or other) and enter Weight. Confirm, write over, or enter a Merchandise Description using specific language, such as annual reports (documents) or 9mm steel screws (non-documents). Avoid general terms such as documents, printed material, and samples. If needed, enter a Declared Value. Some trans-border returns could require a Merchandise Description (for example, textiles, machine parts, etc.). For documents and similar materials, check Documents of No Commercial Value.
- Select the Return Service you want to use from the drop-down list. When selecting a return service you have the option of billing yourself, the person or company returning the package, or a third party.
Note: In some countries, multi-piece return shipments are allowed. In those countries, a drop list appears on the page, allowing the sender to select up to 20 packages for the return shipment. Multi-piece returns are not allowed in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
- Reference Number 1 displays your default preference, or you can fill in the field, at your option. The reference number on this page helps you and your company track your return shipment using a purchase order number, invoice number, department number, or any value (combination of words and numbers) your company requires for its internal accounting.
- Confirm the Payment Information, which displays your default payment methods in the drop down menu. You may also enter another UPS Account Number or payment card (for example a debit or credit card).
- To encode the reference number on your shipping label, select the checkbox. You can also choose to send an E-Mail Return Notification. When the return package enters the UPS system, an e-mail notice will be sent to the recipients you've indicated.