How To Create a Return Shipment
- Log in.
- Select the Shipping tab at the top.
- In the area at the left, select Create a Shipment, then select Create a Return.
- Address Information: Select a Return From address (e.g., the original recipient address) from the drop-down list or an external address book (if available). Or to enter an address, select Enter New Address. When the page refreshes, confirm the Return To information. To make changes, select Edit.
- Payment Information: Confirm the Bill To information, which displays your default payment method. To make changes, select Edit.
- Shipment Information:
UPS provides various return services that allow you and your package recipients to return goods by paying a nominal fee. Select the service you want to use from the Return Service drop-down list. When selecting a return service you have the option of billing yourself, the person or company returning the package, or a third party.
Next, select the UPS shipping service from the Service drop-down list. Also, indicate the number of packages to be included in this return shipment.
International returns require a Description of Goods (textiles, machine parts, etc.). For documents and similar materials, you can check Documents of No Commercial Value.
- Package Information: In countries allowing multi-piece return shipments, individual packages for the return shipment are listed separately as Package 1, Package 2, etc.
- For each package, select the type of packaging from the drop-down list and enter Weight. Confirm, write over, or enter a Merchandise Description using specific language, such as annual reports for documents or 9mm steel screws for non-documents. Avoid general terms such as documents, printed material, and samples. If needed, enter a Declared Value.
- Reference #1 displays your default preference, or you can fill in the field, at your option. The reference number on this page helps you and your company track your return shipment using a purchase order number, invoice number, department number, or any value (combination of words and numbers) your company requires for its internal accounting. You can select the checkbox to encode the reference number on your shipping label, and you can also choose to send an E-Mail Return Notification. This allows you to enter e-mail addresses and a message that will be sent upon the return package entering the UPS system.
Back to Top
Return Services Definitions
UPS provides various return services that allow you and your package recipients to return goods by paying a nominal fee. Select the Return Service you want to use from the drop-down list.
When selecting a return service you have the option of billing your UPS Account Number, the person or company returning the package, or a third party. Note: You cannot bill a return shipment to a payment card (for example a debit or credit card).
UPS ReturnsSM - Electronic Return Label (ERL) E-mail
With this Return Service, UPS sends a return label via e-mail to the recipient you specify. The recipient prints the return label and attaches it to the package being returned.
UPS Returns - Print Return Label
This Return Service allows you to create a return label and send it to the recipient with your shipment or separately.
UPS Returns - Print and Mail Return Label
With this Return Service, UPS prints your return label and mails it to the party making the return.
UPS Returns Plus
With this option, a UPS driver carries a preprinted return label when attempting to pick up the return package.
- 1 UPS Pickup Attempt allows the shipper to request one pickup attempt for return of a UPS package. If the package cannot be picked up, the label is left for the recipient to return the package via any UPS method.
- 3 UPS Pickup Attempts allows the shipper to request three pickup attempts for return of a UPS package. After the third pickup attempt, the label is returned to UPS.
Back to Top