Updated Monday, September 20, 2010
As of October 1, 2010, UPS will no longer accept imports to Japan for shipments that are subject to plant quarantine or animal quarantine inspection. This restriction will apply for Worldwide Express Plus®, Worldwide Express®, Worldwide Express Saver®, and Worldwide Expedited®.
Items which my require plant quarantine or animal quarantine include the following types of products:
- Fresh, cut or dried flowers, leaves, roots, bark or other plant products (could include potpourri, garlands, wreaths, baskets made of plant material, etc.)
- Tobacco (excludes rolled cigarettes or cigars), tobacco leaves
- Fresh or frozen fruit or vegetables
- Non-roasted coffee beans
- Beans, except canned-beans
- Wheat, sesame, cotton, grain, barley, malt, straw, rice, flour, herbs, spices, tea (tea bags accepted), mushrooms, sugar cane
- Wood, nursery tree, bulbs
- Meat, frozen meat, meat products, ham, sausage, beef jerky, including canned, bottled and vacuum-pouched products
- Bacteria, viruses (human or animal)
- Animal origin blood, blood product, serum, antibody, semen, tissue
- Animal bone, horn, antler
- Unprocessed animal fur, feathers
- Gelatin, collagen
- Pet food, wood or chews
- Raw wool or leather
It is possible that additional items could also be subject to plant quarantine or animal quarantine. For additional details, please reference the Japanese government web sites in English below:
Plant Quarantine Information : www.pps.go.jp/english/faq/index.html
Animal Quarantine Information: www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/index.html
Please contact your UPS account executive or local customer service representatives for more information.
Please visit this website for regular updates.