|You can implement a customised integration of UPS APIs based on your particular systems, platforms and software. Customisation requires expertise and resources. Only programmers who are knowledgeable in XML/Web Service coding are qualified to integrate the UPS APIs. To ensure your business system or website is properly programmed and integrated, it's recommended that a member of your Information Technology (IT) department or a qualified Third-Party Integrator implement, program, test, and certify any UPS functionality.
The process for integrating the APIs is the same for all developers. Print the following instructions to distribute to your developer.
- Implement: Review the requirements for each API carefully at the UPS Developer Kit page at ups.com (see link below). Download the Software Developer Kit (SDK) and carefully review the entire Developer Guide for the API you will integrate. The Developer Kit also includes sample code and WSDLs. Once you have reviewed the kit, you should request access to the UPS test environment. Most APIs provide immediate access to both test and production environments. However, the following APIs require a second request to activate production access: Address Validation Street Level, Locator, Collection, Rating (LTL Freight only), and Shipping.
- Test: UPS provides a testing environment that is accessible with an Access Key for all APIs. This will allow you to simulate live request and response messaging to ensure you have properly formatted your XML or Web Service requests.
- Certify: Ensure that your implementation meets UPS requirements for gaining production access. Currently, only the Shipping API requires certification. The steps required for certification are outlined within the Developer Guide.
- Move to Production: Once files have been submitted and approved by the UPS certification team, production access is granted. The e-mail address for submitting files is included within the most current Developer Guide.
- Get Technical Support: You can obtain e-mail support at ups.com at any time. Attach a file with your e-mail support request that includes your XML request/response messages and errors. First level Technical Support will respond the next day (this excludes U.S. holidays). If your problem log is escalated to third-level Technical Support, you will get a response by the next business day (excluding U.S. holidays). For general questions, you can download the Knowledge Base file by selecting the link below. This resource contains answers to hundreds of questions about the APIs. Finally, if your issue is urgent and you need immediate assistance, you can call the first-level Technical Support desk in the U.S. at 800-247-9035.